A Big Step: Closing the chapter on life in Boise

As independent as I am accustomed to being, it takes a village to sell a home. I am thankful for the family and friends who helped me get my home ready for the market over the last few weeks. It has not been without it's challenges, but it's officially PENDING, so it was all worth it!

I've never done this myself, but selling a home isn't exactly a foreign concept to me. As a certified Home Staging Expert, I've been a part of this process many times before, only for other people. I can walk through a home and within a few minutes identify what works and what should be rearranged to better appeal to potential buyers. 

Keeping an objective eye on your own home, however, is nearly impossible. You live in your space everyday, you've trained your brain not to focus on the things you know you don't have time to get to and you've adjusted to the various quirks of your home. My home was built in 1950...it has a lot of quirks! 

I started the process on my own; decluttering, moving out unnecessary furniture (with the help of my amazing family) and converting rooms back to "normal use" space (e.g. no more home office and spare room crammed into one space or full power rack gym setup), but when the time came for actually listing the home, I did what I knew would be best. I called in an trusted objective professional who would help me get outside of my personal connection to my home and see it through fresh eyes.

Mid Century Modern style is on a huge revival trend right now. A trend my home falls into, even though it has largely 40s architectural influences. It was a blessing to know that I was likely to find a buyer who will love it as much as I do. I'm selling my home because logistically, and financially, it makes the most sense for me not to be tied to Boise as I transition to the field in Perú; not because I don't love my home. I LOVE my home, its style and cozy comfort. I may not love yard work, but I LOVE the big shady backyard with a hammock that's the perfect spot for reading on a summer afternoon. And I may not love washing dishes by hand, but I LOVE the vintage kitchen cabinets with the light above the sink that reminds me of hours spent in the kitchen with my grandma. 

This fall marked 15 years that I've lived in Boise; almost half of my life. This home is the longest I've lived in one place since my parents house (and lucky for my parents, I'll be back there for a short time of transition...well I say lucky, you might ask them for their word). It's bittersweet to be leaving. Sad to see this chapter end, but closing the chapter on this home means opening the next chapter; a chapter full of exciting opportunities and possibilities.

All that hard work has paid off.  I'm officially under contract and set to close in a few short weeks. God is good! His timing is perfect, and he has made all things possible. I'm eager to have this move complete, so I am free to follow his path to Lima when the timing is right.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me so far, those who have offered to help these final steps. and all who have been praying for me along the way. I couldn't do it without you and I am sincerely thankful for each of you! 

Cheers to the next chapter! (ugh, now I want to read...I'm such a book nerd)

Comments