Missionary Passing Through: Rocky Mountains to the Plains

Time flies when you're meeting amazing people and sharing how God is working in your life and the lives of those you've been called to serve. I feel truly blessed to have so many new friends in Christ across the states I've traveled so far.

I'm sure you're wondering, just where have I been for the last few days! Let me see how many of the details I can remember...it's been an exciting blur...let's see, I think I left you when I was just arriving in Grand Junction. That sounds right.

Grand Junction, Colorado: A beautiful valley surrounded on one side by the Colorado National Monument and the other by the Bookcliffs. Surprisingly enough it felt a lot like home and we spent a lot of time comparing farm kid stories. It is peach harvest season and my wonderful host took me on a short tour of the orchards and vineyards heavy with fruit ripe for the picking. It was a beautiful day! I was able to briefly meet with a few members of the Lutheran Church and School of Messiah and share about my ministry and journey to Lima. I will be connecting with them again, from a distance, at their LWML Zone Fall Rally and I'm excited to share with even more amazing LWML friends about the mission field in Perú!

Sterling, Colorado: A quick stop and dinner with new friends was all the time I had to spend in Sterling. Last minute changes in my schedule left me stretching the miles between Grand Junction and Seward, Nebraska and the lovely ladies at Trinity Lutheran were gracious enough to host me for the evening. I wish I had more time to spend there but I am very thankful for the time we had and that they were available on such short notice!

Seward, Nebraska: Officially experiencing states for the first time, I crossed out of the mountains of Colorado to the plains of Nebraska! I've really only experienced the wide openness of the mid-west once before, at the LWML National Convention in Des Moines, Iowa in 2015. Seeing it from the air and in the city doesn't compare to driving through it. I'll admit, having lived my entire life in a Valley, it's a little unnerving to have no mountains to anchor your sense of direction!

Serving on the National Board of LWML, I've met a number of amazing women all over the United States. And one of them is teaching at Saint Johns Lutheran School and she was gracious enough to host me for the night. I was able to give a small, informal presentation to some ladies from the church and afterward we even ran into some other members as we visited a local spot to catch up. A rather small community, based around Concordia University - Nebraska, it's easy to run into people you know! A cute historic spot and a nice time with friends, new and old was the perfect end to the day.

God is my copilot as I travel on from Nebraska North to the Dakotas, read more in my next post!


Comments