Missionary Passing Through: On to the Dakotas!

After a quick stop to meet with Mission Central and a tour of the beautiful Zion Lutheran Church in Omaha, Nebraska, I was back on the road to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Another new state for me!

Have you been to the Water Ski Show?
My answer, until Friday night, was no. Wait, water ski SHOW? I had never known such a thing existed, and I was in for a treat! My amazing hosts are actively involved with the show at Catfish Bay in Sioux Falls and invited me to come out and watch the show while they volunteered. It was awesome! A beautiful evening, with a backdrop of a thunderstorm showing off as it passed by to the east, it was a great introduction to Sioux Falls.

Playing Tourist: Having a couple days in the same location is new, and I was lucky to connect with a few new friends who showed me around Sioux Falls. We went to the falls, of course, and drove around to see the rest of the city. Hitting a cute local coffee shop Coffea Roasterie and a Cambodian Restaurant for lunch. It was a great day to just see the city.

A Reverse Presentation: The congregation at Memorial Lutheran Church in Sioux Falls has been sending teams to Perú for 10 years, ever since the devastating earthquake in 2007, so they actually know more about the history of the Mission Field than I do right now. Instead of me presenting to them, I asked if they would be willing to share with me the things they have done with the team in Perú over the years and sort of compare notes. It was AWESOME! As the incoming volunteer coordinator, it is invaluable to have that kind of information and connection to people who have experienced what you're new to!

Attending church the next morning, I didn't feel out of place. A connection of fast friends, and the joy of knowing we will connect often in the future.

Where to next? I'm headed to Fargo, North Dakota. Watch for more updates from Missionary Passing Through!

Comments