Missionary Passing Through: Finally updates on the final leg of the journey...

The snowball effect is real. Sometimes when you're on a roll, you just keep rolling! It's difficult to find time to stop and reflect while you're rolling down the hill. I've been having so much fun sharing with so many of you in person, I haven't stopped long enough for a proper update. I hope you're following along on Facebook, it seems to be updated a little more frequently :)  


Holland, Michigan: Have you seen this place!?!
Talk about unexpected. I've heard things about Michigan, of course. And my family is from Holland...so I get that. But I could not have imagined how they come together in this beautiful place.  I only wish it could have been part spring so I could have seen the tulips!


My amazing friend (and editor of the Diamond Times for you LWML #PurplePeeps) invited me to visit her church, Zion Lutheran Church, and I had a chance to briefly share with the members what God is doing on the mission field in Lima. After church we had a few minutes to talk more and I learned about some of the things members are doing with various mission fields around the world. We are all so connected and I love it!

With a few hours of free time, Sunday packed a punch of sunshine perfect for the beach. You heard me right, BEACH! I knew Lake Michigan was big, but did you know they have waves like the ocean? Nothing but water as far as the eye can see. Sailboats, waves, sand...and no sharks! It was the perfect way to fit in some relaxation before heading on.

Blustery but filled with Blessings in Ohio
After a quick stop in Garden City, Michigan to visit my Nicaragua short-term team leader, I headed south again to meet with the one of my #LWMLYoungBloods in Ohio. It was a windy day, but warm enough to meet outside, with a small but dedicated group of people from the area. A few old friends and a few new friends, what more could you ask for (except maybe a little less wind, lol)?

It's such a blessing to spend time with friends I've met in my travels at their homes and meet their families, putting faces and hugs with names I've known for years. God is so good!

Where I've Never Gone Before - South Carolina/Georgia
A challenging drive, through severe thunderstorms threatening hail and rain so hard it slowed the pace of the world, brought me further Southeast than I've ever been before! That challenge was worth it...South Carolina, you gorgeous thing you. I could linger here lazily over tea (or beers as it was) for days on end.

I was generously invited to speak during an evening Bible study at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Aiken and was glad to share with a group of dedicated believers in sharing God's word. I am so grateful for the time, and the ice cream, we shared. A small, but mighty church with a huge heart!

And my final stop of the US Tour (which sounds fancy, but without 'roadies' or a tour bus is not as glamorous as you might think) was in Augusta, Georgia, pulling out all the stained glass punches. The ladies bible study at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church were kind enough to invite me to the end of their lesson to share about the mission in Lima. A great group of ladies, with an awesome round table setup for their study and an obvious passion for God's word, I was happy to be a part of their day.

They were gracious enough to invite us to lunch, but alas, even good things come to an end and I had to get on my way to the airport. But not before one quick stop for another amazing display of architecture and stained glass. I may not have mentioned this already, but if you know me you'll likely know about my passion for interior design and architecture, especially historic homes and buildings. There is an impressive center, which used to be a cathedral, in Augusta that has brickwork like I've never seen before. The pictures give you an idea, but seeing it in person is breathtaking. I honestly didn't know you could achieve those patterns and textures with brick. A special thank you to Eden for taking me to see it.

And Finally...Home James
After 26 days on the road, fitting your life back into two checked bags and two carryons is tough. This could be a new game show...seriously, I would watch that. When I finally got all four bags out of the rental car and into the airport and they were all underweight I almost cried with relief! Whew! 

A tight layover in Chicago, exasperated by a late takeoff in South Carolina, gave me flashbacks to the first time I'd travel with my LWML friends to the Pittsburgh Convention...running across terminals and having the door shut in my face and waiting for hours for another flight...but thanks to many prayers, I made it to my gate with about 10 minutes to spare! Praise the Lord!

This USA tour may be over, but Missionary Passing Through is still rolling back in the Pacific Northwest/Rocky Mountains. Did I miss you in my travels? Contact me today to find out about ways I can share with you from a distance. Or if you're in the west, invite me to come share before I deploy...I would love to see you! 

Stay tuned to find out where I'm at now, and where I'm heading from here...

Comments